Monday, September 5, 2011

Race Report: Miner's Mile 5k




When I woke up to pouring rain this morning, it was bittersweet.  Part of me was upset since I had to travel 2 hours to a 5k race this morning, but part of me was happy since maybe I'd have a chance of placing if no one showed up.  My priorities are clearly in line.

My friends Slade and Amanda had planned to run the race with me, but Amanda wasn't feeling well so it was up to me and Slade to bring home gold this year.  Upon arriving, we could tell that it was going to be a small crowd.  The rain kept pouring and my shoes were competely soaked before I even made it to the packet pick up tent.

Soaking wet.


The course was very flat and I didn't have to bob and weave around anyone since it was such a small race.  I knew I wanted to go out slower then speed up, but that just didn't happen.  My splits were:

Mile 1: 9:57
Mile 2: 10:17
Mile 3: 10:00
.1: 58:08
Total: 3.1 miles in 31:12
Not too shabby for barely training and it coming a monsoon.  I'll take it.  If you remember yesterday's post about my race goals then you'll know that one of my goal's was to shatter last year's time.  Mission accomplished.  I beat last years time by 7:48.  Wowzuhs.  Love it!! 

Slade and I stuck around for the awards since we both thought we may have won.  I actually ended up winning a doorprize, which was a gift card for a Road ID.  As soon as I get one ordered, I'll be donning it on my runs and doing a product review of it.  I did end up winning first place in my age group and got a precious medal.  Slade defended last year's title and won his age group too!  Yay for winning. 

Baldie takes home the gold.

I'll let you guess which medal is mine and which is Slade's.


The best part of the race?  The swag for sure.  Being a small race, they were able to provide the best refreshments possble post race.  We really racked up on some awesome goodies including granola bars, Clif bars, smoothies, watermelon, and gatorade. 

Yessss.  Come to momma.

Did you race today?  It was a gret way to spend my Labor Day.

7 comments:

  1. wow!!!! look at that swag! and you totally rocked out! congrats on your place and the roadID win!!! woo hoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome awesome awesome!!! I knew you would kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang, that's crazy amount of swag for a small race! we had rain for our race this morning too. congrats on good run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serious swag, that's awesome! And CONGRATS on the medal, plus that amazing course PR. Hooray!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That is awesome!!!

    I heard it was a rainy weekend down there!

    I ran a 20K - got a LOAF OF BREAD, which was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. still very jealous of everyone who got in a fun race, I couldn't find one! Way to go on the PR and umm yes race swag rocks especially as a reward for crazy rain :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make this gal sooo happy :)