Sunday, July 3, 2011

Race Recap: Pilot Fireball Moonlite Classic 5k

Tonight I ran in the Pilot Fireball Moonlite Classic 5k, a flat and fast course that our Knoxville Track Club sponsors.  I did it last year in 35:58 and at the time, I thought that was good.  However this year I really wanted vengence on the course and hoped to break 30 minutes for the first time EVER.  I had planned on breaking 30 no matter what, but I set myself up for heartbreak.

The first mile flew by and I looked at Garmin and to my horror it was only at 8:45.  I was going almost 2 minutes faster than I had planned on going.   A water stop was located right at mile 1, but I never drink on shorter runs, so I opted out.  Bad idea.  I knew if I did not walk then I was going to be sick, so I got over to the side to walk for a bit.  It was sooo unbelievably hot, but I felt cold under my sweaty skin.  At this point, I was just hoping to break last year's time because I knew I was going to be sick.

I lugged through the next two miles and did my best at a strong last  .2 miles.  Multiple people got very sick and had to have medical attention.  The heat and lack of proper hydration were definately not in my favor today.  Official times aren't in yet, but it was around 32:55 when I crossed the finish line, a whole 3 minutes faster than last year.  Not a PR, but not a PW.  I'll take a course PR anyday. 

They served fresh watermelon slices and shaved ice after the race.  Note to all race directors: perfect post race food.  One day I'll break 30 minutes, and although that day was not today, I'll live and get 'em next time.  Hope y'all have a happy holiday!

P.S.  I know you are incredibly devestated that there are no pictures, but the camera is broken.  Sad day, I know. 

3 comments:

  1. KELSEY!!! you are so strong for pushing through feeling sick and the intense heat these days! I can only imagine the humidity back there...I try to avoid KY this time of year ;) CONGRATS on your course PR!!! definitely something to be proud of...guess I will let you slide on the pics ;) you are too sweet for sending that email. SERIOUSLY MADE MY DAY! I gotta respond soon! I will be home for a few weeks in September so if I can make it down that way I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the run!!! You are awesome for sticking with it even though you felt so sick. The heat is a bugger!! No likey!! I am hoping to break a 30 min. on a 5k as well. We will do it girl!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so so proud of you! A course PR is definitely something to be super proud of! Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make this gal sooo happy :)